January 20, 2010

How about ...? どう

To ask the state of something (how something is doing) use the useful dou (desu ka).
You can used it with or without the final 'desu ka' in conversation.

最近はどうですか?
saikin wa dou desu ka?
How's it going recently?

コーヒーはどう?
ko-hi- wa dou?
How's the coffee? or it could mean How about some coffee?

天気予報はどう?
tenki yohou wa dou?
How's the weather forecast looking?

Of course when the context is understood you can simply say, 'dou' (Like returning from a doctor's appointment, or after your friend gets off an important phone call)

Source: thejapanesepage.com

2 comments:

  1. This site is extremely stupid and a huge ripoff. Stop stealing your stuff from the japanese page, and stop spamming your crap site on reputable sites.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dear Tobberoth!
    Thanks for your comment. But I should mention that:
    1. I'm putting all the information and lessons which "I'm learning" in my blog.
    2. I think (and hope) this blog may help many other people who may not be familiar with Japanese resources across the endless internet.
    3. I'm introducing all the resources that I collect at the bottom of each post.
    4. Of course, I must put lessons and methods of "reputable and trustful" sites because it is important for my readers as well.
    5. I have many readers who are coming every day to my blog for a fast review so it means that my blog is helpful for them.
    6. I'm not expecting from my blog readers to treat this blog as their main resource, but maybe as a side-dish.

    Anyway, thanks again for your comment.

    ReplyDelete